Saturday, March 14, 2015

Vegetarian Lentils / Dhal


Ever since turning vegan, I started experimenting with different ways of cooking vegetables to replace the occasional food cravings for certain food which I used to take. With onions, garlic, chives, eggs, dairy, honey and any meat off my food list, I found myself constrain when it comes to cooking  for myself alone. My husband and family members albeit accept vegetable meals but weren't ready to dive into the vegan bandwagon like me.



And usually after cooking food for them, I do not feel incline to prepare another set of food solely for myself. Despite all the eggs and dairy laden pastries I have posted, I do not actually consume them other than my partake in the baking and photography. I have been frequently asked by people how would I know if the non vegan food I have prepared have reached the required taste without sampling, well, I guess it all boils down to gut feeling which have not failed me so far. 

My first encounter with eating dhal was through roti canai and I love it!  Now, every time I cook curry chicken for the family I would start to crave for curry dishes.  Apart from cooking vegetarian potato curry,  Dhal is the next closest alternative for me.  This is a relative easy to cook recipe which I find satisfying and fulfilling.

Apart from eating it with roti canai (indian pancake), I also plan to use it to fill the Pita Bread next on my baking list.




Ingredients
(A) 240g Yellow / red lentils (wash and rinse well)
      3 cm Fresh ginger, sliced
      2 Bay leaves (optional)
      1 Cinnamon Stick

(B) 2 Tomatoes (cubed)
      2 small potatoes (cubed)
     50g Cauliflower (cut in small pieces)

(C) 40g Rice Bran Oil
      50g Vegetarian Curry Powder
      1 tbsp Vegetarian Tom Yum Powder
      1 tsp Cumin ( i didn't use any)
      1/2 tsp Garam Masala
      2 tsp Lemongrass powder
      1 Tbsp Mixed Herbs
      1 Cup Tomato Ketchup
      1 tbsp Vegetarian Chilli Sauce
      100ml water and salt to taste
      



  • Place (A) with 1.75 liters of water in a pan and bring to boil, skimming surface to remove scum. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer vigorously for 40 mins or until lentils have softened.
  • In a separate pot, place ingredients (B) with 1 liter of water and boil under medium heat for 20 mins until potatoes and cauliflowers have softened and the tomatoes turns mushy. Drain and set aside for later use.
  • Heat oil in a non stick wok / pot over medium heat. Add the cooked ingredients from (B) and continue to stir fry for 2 minutes. Add curry powder and tom yum powder and continue stir frying until fragrant. Stir in cumin, lemon grass powder, mixed herbs and garam masala and continue to cook for a further minute until fragrant.
  • Add tomato ketchup and chili sauce.
  • Add lentils (A) and water and continue to cook for flavors to develop. Then season with salt.
  • Add more water if necessary.




No comments :

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...